How to Donate
There are three simple ways you can donate:
Please call us and we can process your donation information by telephone or set up a meeting to discuss your giving preferences in person;
Contact us to discuss
246372 Hockley Rd. Mono, ON L9W 6K4
Reasons to Give
Benefits to Donors
- Choice of several easy and convenient ways to donate
- A charitable tax receipt for the amount donated (CRA Charitable Registration # 78021 9911 RR0001)
- Donating can lessen your Capital Gains tax
- Donors can give a gift to an established endowed fund or take the opportunity to create their own endowment to support one or more of their favourite charities
- A single gift can be directed to multiple charitable organizations or causes
- Gifts can be anonymous if the donor wishes
Trusted endowment investing with local professional firm
- All endowed funds are pooled and professionally managed.
- Pooled investing results in higher yields and more growth of endowed funds
- Permanence: the endowed funds will always exist and continue to support the community
- A cost-effective alternative to a private foundation
Your community benefits from your donation
- Grants to local charities ensure donors’ gifts stay in the area
- Quality of life in local communities are enhanced through projects and programs of charities focused in Dufferin County
- Adaptable with the needs of our communities as times change
- All aspects and operations of The Dufferin Community Foundation are governed by a volunteer board of local leaders. The Foundation is not tied to any particular group or agenda
You choose the most convenient method of gifting
- Donation by cash, cheque, credit card or electronic funds transfer (one time gift or pre-authorized regular contributions)
- Donate online through Canada Helps – or by contacting us directly
- Transfer of stocks and/or bonds
- Change your beneficiary on RRSPs or RIFs so a portion goes to charity
- Name the Foundation as beneficiary of Insurance Policies
- Designate a portion of your estate in a Will and/or Bequest
- Real estate and other assets may be considered at the discretion of the Foundation
- Find out more
Ways to Give
Anyone can be a philanthropist. You don’t need extreme wealth and it doesn’t have to be complicated. Giving to the Dufferin Community Foundation is simple: we provide the flexibility and knowledge to help you make the difference you want to make, right here at home. Giving can take place now, or be established in your will as part of your estate plan. We offer a variety of giving tools including:
Gifts of Cash
A straightforward way of making a gift to The Dufferin Community Foundation is by way of cash or cheque. This is an attractive form of gift for anyone who has cash available and wants to make an immediate donation. The Foundation is able to invest the donation to generate profit and support charity. You enjoy immediate tax savings.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
This enables you to give the most to the Foundation for the least cost. With stocks, you only pay capital gains when you sell or “realize” the increase in the value of the stock over and above what you paid for it. When you donate securities to our charity, you do not pay tax on appreciated capital gains.
A bequest in a will may specify a certain sum of money, a particular asset, or a portion of an estate, to be donated to The Dufferin Community Foundation. You may specify that a bequest be used to establish a new fund in your name, be added to an existing fund or be added to a fund that a family member has established. Talk to your lawyer or trusted advisor.
Gifts of Retirement Funds
Use tax-deferred assets (RRSPs or RRIFs) accumulated for retirement to provide a gift to The Dufferin Community Foundation. Generally, the largest tax hit on an estate is for the remaining balance of an RRSP or RRIF on the death of the second spouse. This money can be taxed at more than 50% including probate fees. A donation would cancel out this tax. Talk to your financial advisor.
Gifts of Insurance Policies
Update the beneficiary on your life insurance to include your charity. While you are living, the insurance premiums are tax deductible. Afterward, the Dufferin Community Foundation would create a Family Fund from the insurance proceeds with your instructions on how to support the causes in Dufferin that are most important to you. There is an additional tax deduction if the policy has a cash surrender value. Talk to your life insurance agent.
Gifts of other Assets
The Foundation will consider gifts of other assets (property, art collections, royalty interests, closely held corporate securities) on an individual basis because there are a number of factors to consider with each type of gift. Contact us directly if you are considering making this type of donation.
Where to Give: Types of Funds
As a donor, you can choose the impact you would like to have by directing your gifts towards a sector (children, food insecurity, health, environment, education, etc.) or be more specific (select one or more charities that are close to your heart).
Choose your impact
There are 4 main giving options. Choose the one that is right for you